AUSTIN DENTIST | TEJAS PATEL, DDS
A chipped, fractured or broken tooth may not hurt initially if it a minor chip, but it must be fixed by a dentist. If your broken tooth is severe enough to cause bleeding, you may need to seek emergency dental treatment.
Serving Austin, Lakeway, and the surrounding areas.
SAME-DAY, NEXT DAY & EMERGENCY APPOINTMENTS AVAILABLE
REPAIRING A BROKEN TOOTH
A chipped or fractured tooth may not hurt initially if it a minor chip, but it must be fixed by a dentist. A minor fracture of chip to your tooth may not cause any pain, but more severe chips and breaks may expose and damage the nerve within in your tooth. If your broken tooth is severe enough to cause bleeding, you may need to seek emergency dental treatment. Regardless of the severity of your chipped, fractured, or broken tooth, you should see Austin Cosmetic Dentistry as soon as possible.
MORE ABOUT A BROKEN TOOTH
The manner in which your dentist at Austin Cosmetic Dentistry will repair your broken tooth is dependent upon the severity and type of break. For minor chips and cracks, your Austin dentist may be able to repair your tooth in one visit, but for more severe breaks, your tooth may require costly and time consuming repairs.
- For minor cracks that affect only the enamel, your dentist may simply polish the tooth to smooth out the cracked area.
- Cracked teeth can often be fixed with a filling material and a crown to prevent further cracking.
- Chipped teeth can often be treated with a filling material. However, for minor chips, your dentist may simply polish down the rough surface.
- If the break or crack affects the chewing surface of your tooth, your dentist will likely replace it with a filling material and crown to preserve the shape of your tooth.
- For severe breaks that expose the nerve, you will likely need a root canal to remove the exposed nerve, and you likely receive a crown so that the shape of your tooth is preserved and the remaining tooth is protected from further damage and decay.
- If the tooth is broken severely enough that it cannot be saved, your tooth will be removed, and your dentist will discuss with you your options to replace your missing tooth.
At Austin Cosmetic Dentistry, we understand how uncomfortable and stressful a chipped or fractured tooth can be, and we are here to repair your tooth and get you back to your optimal state of wellness. Your oral health is our top priority, and we are devoted to providing you with the high-quality personalized care that you deserve.
Additionally, Colgate provides some tips on how to handle a chipped or broken tooth.
GET IN TOUCH
If you have a chipped, fractured, or broken tooth, don’t wait to fix it. Call our office today to schedule your appointment.
Our downtown Austin dental office handles all types of common dental issues.